In this episode Scott Lynch (Managing Director of Community Therapy) and John O’Brien (General Manager of Community Therapy) talk about their experiences in the evolving pursuit of staff wellbeing and some strategies you can use to improve resilience at a personal and organisational level.
Scott is Managing Director of Community Therapy; a company he started 5 years ago that has grown to a team of 70 Physios, OTs, Dietitians, Speech Pathologists and Massage Therapists. Community Therapy delivers values-driven community, aged and disability allied health services across the Hunter and Central Coast regions of NSW.
Scott is also privileged to serve as vice chair of the Australian Physiotherapy Association’s Gerontology Committee.
John O’Brien is a Physiotherapist by background who has spent the last 13 years working with local and national organisations in the allied healthcare space.
With a passion for staff wellbeing and employee experience (EX), John has transitioned from working clinically in Australia and the UK to supporting large allied health teams and developing and implementing EX programs to support both team members and organisational outcomes.
John has recently joined the Community Therapy team as General Manager and is passionate about high quality healthcare services built on empathy, as well as trying to be a good Dad to his young kids Alex and Rose!
Things you will learn
- Welcome to the Community Health Podcast!
- Ways to support a remote and mobile workforce
- Practical ways to create meaningful connections in your workplace to improve staff wellbeing
- The use of technology to support staff wellbeing
- Some ways to manage your own physical and mental wellbeing
- The difference between your purpose and your goals
- Using the Gratitude, Empathy and Mindfulness principles to improve staff wellbeing
- LinkedIn- Scott Lynch https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottlynchct/
- LinkedIn- John O’Brien https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-o-brien-436429140/
- LinkedIn- Community Therapy https://www.linkedin.com/company/community-therapy-au/mycompany/
- Johan Hari- Lost Connections https://thelostconnections.com/ (Creating connections)
- Ben Crowe- Founder of Mojo Crowe https://www.mojocrowe.com/ (Purpose vs Goals)
- The Resilience Project, founded by Hugh van Cuylenberg https://theresilienceproject.com.au/ (Gratitude, Empathy, Mindfulness)
- Calm app – https://www.calm.com/
- Insight timer – https://insighttimer.com/en-au
As discussed in the interview, we would prompt organisations and employees to consider:
- how are you using software and systems across your organisation to add to employee wellbeing?
- do you have an Employee Assistance Program in place?
- are you receiving the right type of feedback from your team?
- are you communicating in different ways so you meet different communication styles?
- what does employee wellbeing mean to you and your organisation?