In this episode Scott Lynch (Managing Director of Community Therapy) discusses the COVID-19 pandemic and the impact on mental health, physical activity and client care needs to monitor.
Scott is Chair of the Australian Physiotherapy Association’s NSW Gerontology Committee and Managing Director of Community Therapy; a company he started 5 years ago that has grown to a team of 70 Physios, OTs, Dietitians, Speech Pathologists and Massage Therapists. Community Therapy delivers values-driven community, aged and disability allied health services across the Hunter and Central Coast regions of NSW.
At the time of recording, NSW is experiencing it’s most challenging period of the COVID-19 pandemic with an extended lockdown.
During this time, Lifeline, has reported it’s busiest day ever in its 58 year history of operations.
Lifeline received 3,345 calls on Monday 3rd August 2021.
Distress being linked to economic hardship, employment, relationship breakdown and loneliness, particularly for young people accroding to Suicide Prevention Australia CEO Neives Murray.
It is also noted in covid-19 commentary and research the impact of lockdowns on physical activity.
Some countries finding close to 80% of their population now not meeting the physical activity guidelines!
Daily step counts for people have been at least 30% lower!!
Sadly, physical inactivity is strongly linked to poorer outcomes if one has COVID-19 with a large study for nearly 50,000 covid-19 cases seeing a 2.26 fold increase in hospitalisation risk, 73% higher risk to require intensive care and 2.5 times more likely to die.
It can be difficult to know what to focus on when there is a lot of information to sort through. So let’s focus on the things that we an control!
Things you will learn
- physical inactivity due to covid-19
- mental health burden due to covid-19
- physical activity guidelines
- mental health strategies
- client care needs to focus on during covid-19
- LinkedIn – Scott Lynch https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottlynchct/
- Lifeline – https://www.lifeline.org.au/
- Physical Activity Guidelines – https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/physical-activity-and-exercise/physical-activity-and-exercise-guidelines-for-all-australians
- Insight Timer – https://insighttimer.com/en-au
- Calm App – https://www.calm.com/